Monday, April 9, 2012

My Views On Hypertrichosis

I believe that mistreating anyone who’s different is terrible. People can’t help whether or not they’re different. People can’t all be exactly alike, and if we were, then the world would be a very dull place. People should never be mistreated due to their race, religion, weight, gender, or appearance. That’s why I believe that treating people with odd medical conditions such as Hypertrichosis is just as bad as being racist, sexist, and/or prejudice. It’s terrible that people with this condition were locked in cages, treated like animals, and used as public entertainment.
                Just because these people are different from you and me, it doesn’t mean that they deserve to be mocked and laughed at. It’s a tragedy when girls suffering from this condition may never get married, or if a little girl can only be respected after becoming famous, or if siblings admit that they spent most of their childhood locked in a cage. Hypertrichosis doesn’t make these people monsters, let alone werewolves; it just makes them special and unique. That is my view on the repression and cruelty that has been exhibited towards sufferers from Hypertrichosis.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible issue. I didn't know much about it at all, but the treatment these people have been subjected to is pretty horrific. Reminded me of this case--think I may have mentioned it in class:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ota_Benga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, I'll have to check out the case you're talking about.

      Delete
  3. Hi tia. I like your blog. I too think hypertrichosis is a fascinating medical condition. Honestly I think the hair gives people a really cool appearance, and definitely not one that should be ridiculed or looked down upon. There are plenty of genetic conditions that cause horribly disabling deformities, which I think makes it all that more special when we discover one that has no real down sides. I may be able to help you expand on some of the stories here if you'd like..quijybub on aim,ym, or aol, yahoo email.

    ReplyDelete